Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2009

Safe and sound and VERY much in England

So this is more of a "Yes, I got here safe and sound" post, to all those who were worrying. ;)

We are here in Huddersfield, England. We are staying in college dorms, but it is more like an apt. We each have our own bedroom and bathroom, then a shared kitchen. We have internet in our rooms, so I have pretty good access to the world. :)

After staying up all night before I left, flying to Chicago, having a 6hr layover, then flying almost 8 hrs to Manchester, and getting here at the very beginning of their day (7am), I feel like I haven't slept in like 2 1/2 days. It's a weird feeling, but I am trying not to sleep until tonight, so I can try and adjust. I slept a little on the plane, but nothing substantial. We got into Manchester, went through customs, and got picked up by our sweet driver, Phil - an older man with an AWESOME accent and a missing tooth in front (he said, "it was wobbly, and I sneezed it out"), who drove us through the beautiful English countryside (about 50 min) to Huddersfield. He took us to a grocery store so we could get some food for our kitchen and then on to our dorms. But first, I must tell you what we learned at the grocery store. 1) You have to pay to get a grocery cart. They are all locked together and only come apart when you put in a coin. Needless to say, we ended up using baskets and killing our arms. 2) There were about a million and two people in the store! Every 3 seconds, I was almost running into someone or saying sorry for being in the way. 3) They all bring their own reusable bags to the grocery store. I know the US is getting into that, but most people don't do that yet, but here, EVERYONE does it! We looked weird using the store bags! Oh, and you have to bag your own groceries. :)

After getting settled into our rooms, Heidi and I went for a run to explore and get out. I even took my camera. :) And thank goodness! Wow, it is SO beautiful!

We found ourselves exploring endless trails through the woods, with fields of Dandelions and lilac, stone fences and green rolling hills complete with sheep and cute brick homes.
Yep, those are sheep in the background. :) I felt like I was in a Jane Austen movie! I wanted to keep running forever! But at some point, we did have to turn around...and yes, we got lost on the way back. But we found these cute older ladies walking with their dogs and asked for directions back to the college. Can I just tell you, half the fun of being here is being surrounded by people with the coolest accents! It almost surprises me every time I speak to someone! I LOVE IT!

Boy, I can't wait to sleep tonight! I keep waiting for the sun to go down and it's only 3:30pm.

Well, I hope you are all doing well! I love and miss you already!

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the grocery stores. When we go to ALDI here in Bartlesville, we have to pay a quarter to get a cart, just like you said. They don't have baskets, though, so that usually means that I end up carrying everything in my arms (which becomes difficult as soon as you decide to get a gallon of milk, too). Leslie remembers the quarter, so she doesn't have as hard a time. Anyway, they only take debit cards, you have to bag your own groceries, and you have to buy any bags you use! I have never been willing to pay 6 cents for a plastic bag, so I carry everything out to the car in my hands, too. I did finally buy a reusable bag, though. We'll just have to think of you everytime we go to our favorite little European-like grocery store, I guess. We miss you already, Carrie. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Carianne!!! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has it only been one day since you left???? I like the idea of a blog! I enjoyed the pictures of the English landscape...I especially like the ones with you in them as well. Good night...sleep tight...don't let the bed bugs bite...but they only come out one hour before sunrise (how do they know?)
    Love you! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know the cart gives back your coin when you return it, right? :)

    (at least, most of them do...)

    ReplyDelete