Search This Blog

Friday, May 8, 2009

I've never felt so "luved" in my life!

So, as some of you may know, the reason for me being here in England is because I am on a BYU College of Nursing study abroad. The University of Huddersfield College of Nursing invited us to come here. During the week we are observing/working in the hospital (Huddersfield Royal Infirmary) 4 days/wk, 8 hrs/day. This week was interesting, learning the ropes of a totally different lingo, a totally different health care system (yes, they have universal health care), totally different technology, and a totally different set of policies and procedures than we're used to.Although some things are very different than we expected, it's still fun to experience. Here are some of the words/lingo that I am getting used to (and these aren't just used sometimes, it's the only word they use for that - it's standard!):
"lift" = elevator
"dinner" = lunch (throws me off every time)
"sluice room" = dirty utility room
"toilet" or "commode" or "loo" = bathroom (I don't think I've ever heard anyone hear say "bathroom" or "restroom")
"bowels open" = bowel movement (sorry, nurse-talk :) )
"wee" = pee or urine (even formally!)
"cannula" = IV catheter (I think of cannula as in nasal cannula (tube under your nose for oxygen))
"ward" = floor
"obs" = vital signs
"bleeper" = pager (to page the doctors)
"brilliant" or "brill" = amazing
"posh" & "fab" = used ALL the time
"cheeky" = smart alec
"knickers" = pants, shorts, underwear
"spend a penny" = go to the bathroom (that was funny the first time!)
"Y'alright?" = "How are ya?" "What's up?" "How's it going?" (this took a few times to get used to; the first time someone said it to me, "You alright?" I was surprised, thinking, yeah, do I look like something is wrong?)
"lovely" = I think you can figure it out
"Cheers" = hello, goodbye, thanks, you're welcome, pretty much whatever you want it to mean
And this is my favorite:
"piggy sniffles" = swine flu (well, okay, not everybody uses this, but we've heard it!)

I am on an Elderly ward (we are all on different floors in the hospital), which seems more like a nursing home than a hospital to me. So I don't get to practice my practical nursing skills very much, but I am enjoying the staff and patients very much. They are ALL so kind!! We are already fast friends. There are a few nursing students from the University of Huddersfield on the ward as well. We always have plenty to talk about in comparing education systems, health care systems, and just life! It's fun! Here are a few sample stories from the hospital so far:

- My first day on the ward, I gave a wash (sponge bath) to an older lady. The next day someone else washed her, and when I came in later that day, she said she had missed me! :) It's nice to be missed. Then today, when I was helping her wash and she said, "Now, I can't remember your name. Tell me again." So I told her, but as her hearing isn't top-notch, she thought I said, Cayenne, and she wanted to call me "Pepper." ha ha :) I corrected her, but told her she could still call me Pepper!

-They really DO have tea time here! And it's taken very seriously actually! I was changing linens on a patient's bed at 10am my first day on the ward when the nurse came in and told me to stop what I was doing and come for tea. I asked if I could finish first and she said, "No, it's alright, we'll finish after tea." So every day about 9:30 or 10am, we get a 10min. break. I just have apple juice and a piece of toast with jam, but it's a lovely break!

-Another old lady (sometimes all there, sometimes not so much) just makes me feel so loved. The other day, I was bored so I went in to spend time with the patients (they don't really do anything all day). When I come up to her bed, she just lights up (you can see it in her eyes and everything) and reaches for my hand with both of hers. I just hold her hands and smile at her and she says "lovely" over and over to me. She is so cute! And this morning, when I was feeding her yogurt for breakfast, I think she said thank you after every other bite. And it was so heartfelt. Once, she looked at me, and said, "Carolyn (I'm surprised she got that close!), I love you." It was such a precious moment. I love these old people; they make my heart happy! :)

-So when spelling words with a double letter, or giving a number with a double number, they always say, "double (#/letter)." One time one of the ladies from the University was giving us her phone number if we needed to get a hold of her, and she said, "one, seven, triple two, double two, five, zero, etc." We were all like, "HOW MANY two's was that?!" It was quite funny. Another time, a doctor was on the phone and for some reason he had to spell "arrow." This is what he said: "A, double R, O, double U" ha ha (I'm sure he said W, but it just fit and was hilarious!)

-Yet another older lady (sorry, trying not to use names) loves asking me questions about the U.S. and if I'm going to move to England to stay. ha ha I swear, after every single question, she says "luv." "So, you're from the states, then, luv?" "Do ya like it here, luv?" "Are you going ta stay in England, luv?" etc. People here use that pet name (luv) all the time, but she sure took it to the max! :) Once, again, I felt SO loved!

There are so many more, but I don't want to bore you. It's so fun to constantly be surprised by what everyone says to you, to have it be such a different language, and the same language (English) at the same time. They have such wonderful accents here, but sometimes it is surprisingly hard to understand. The first time I answered the phone on the ward, I couldn't understand at all what they said! I had to say, "what?" a couple times. I've heard them say that the Yorkshire (where we are) accent is one of the hardest to understand.

And the fun part is, I have an accent to them - and they LOVE it! They think my accent is "lovely," and I'm the talk of the ward! I walk into a patient's room whom I've never met, and they say, "Oh, YOU'RE the one from the states!" :) I feel so popular!

Well, it's been a long week on my feet - I had to get gel inserts because my feet were hurting so badly. I'm glad its Friday and we can play/relax this weekend....I'm sure you'll hear about it! :)

(Sorry, no real pictures yet...they will come - especially ones of our cute uniforms- ha ha)

6 comments:

  1. Your stories remind me of why I love that generation so much! Their tales are so interesting when we listen.
    I had a patient from England who always called me "luv". I wish we did that here...it would be hard to ever get angry with someone that way. She was visiting her sister on vacation in Spain and got locked out of the house. She climbed a retaining wall to get her sister's attention through a window, and she fell 20 feet onto her face. She had so much damage...they did a poor job of surgery. She couldn't close her mouth and one eye. When I was seeing her, all her teeth that had not been knocked out were starting to fall out. The last time I saw her she was going to have reconstructive surgery. Her sister was visiting her and I was getting "luved" all over the place!
    Luv you! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Those Brits sound crazy! I'm pretty jealous of you Pepper. Or should I say, Peppa'. I really like your blog posts:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might start using Posh and fab! Isn't it just so fun to be around a different but similar culture. In the south they have their own words a lot like the English saw "luv" Here they say sweat cakes, princess, sweety (anything having to do with sugar in any form). I actually think it is a great and postive kind of speach. It makes you feel very welcome and connected. I love reading your blog, you do a great job. Remind me how to chane the color and size of my fonts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we start calling you Pepper too? It sounds just lovely there. You are so good with people, of course they love you. It's fun to hear all your stories and learn about the pop culture there. Now if you'll excuse me i think i need to go "spend a penny". :) Love you, luv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, that was really me, Leslie, sorry luv.
    Nate loves you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stories! I'd love to spend some time with that "other language" and just absorb it in. I fully expect you to adopt some phrases and speak that way when you get back, Carianne :)

    ReplyDelete