Search This Blog

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Goodbye Royal Infirmary!

So I'm going to have to play a little catch-up...
Last Thursday we finally got to go back to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary (hospital) to say goodbye to our wards and patients.This is my nurse, Claire....she was so sweet and so funny!
the nurses can choose to wear either shirt and pants, or a dress (and surprisingly most wore the dress - I liked it!)
our cute uniforms :)

Random tidbits from the hospital here in England:
-Patients here seem to trust their healthcare professionals more than in the states - I noticed that most of my patients just did whatever they were told, without question.
-It's all very Florence Nightingale-like nursing. Most of the hospital nurses don't even use stethoscopes for assessments - that's only for the doctors (I was talking to the nursing students about how we use stethoscopes all the time for listening to heart, lung, and bowel sounds (which nurses don't normally do here) and they were like, "Woah, so youget to wear your own stethoscope around your neck?!" and I said, "Yes." They were like, "COOL!!! It's like ER! And Scrubs!")
-One day, one of the ladies I have grown close with at the hospital, said something, then stopped and said, "Oh, your American accent is catching on!" Then she wanted me to try a Yorkshire accent....ha ha!
- One of my favorite patients (the one that calls me Pepper) said one day, "I'm sure going to miss you when you're gone. Can't you just take me with you?" :D

Oh, there are so many other stories, but I won't bore you...
These are just some pictures from the hospital:
Align Center(you're not allowed to wear long-sleeves - as a healthcare professional, anything below the elbow is prohibited)

and this one....well, its very motivational
They are obsessed with infection control here...this is our favorite hospital sign:
and this one....well, too late! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love your little outfits! I think that is so interesting that you can't wear anything below the elbows!

    ReplyDelete