Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2009

All over the Wasatch Range

From the North to the South, I've covered a lot of the Wasatch Mountain Range this past month.

#1: Wasatch Back Relay
Logan to Park City, Utah
188 miles
12-person team
3 running legs each
Mountainous terrain
Start: Friday, June 19, 2009 1:30pm

Results:
Finish: Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:24pm
24 hrs 54 min 55 sec
13th place Coed overall (out of 424 teams)
7th place in Coed Open Division (out of 318 teams)

LOADS OF FUN!

This is me standing in the transition area, about the get the slap bracelet from my teammate on my 2nd run, in the middle of the night! Everyone has to wear a headlamp and reflective vest. Oh yeah, and check out my awesome outfit! :)
Trying to wake back up after only 2 1/2 hrs of sleep...gotta keep runnin'
At the finish: wearing our awesomely HUGE, orange medals, and holding our precious time card...Avg of under 8-minute miles! WOO HOO!

Trying to keep track on our Suburban window of all the teams we "toasted" along the way...but sadly, this is only about 1/3 of them :)

Thanks for all the fun, Team Fuego Brown! (its a long story)

#2: Hiking Mt. Nebo
Summit: 11,928 ft
Highest and southernmost mountain on the Wasatch Range
On June 30, I convinced my roommate, Jenae, to come climb Mt. Nebo with me...down by Nephi, Utah. And what a perfect day it was!!
the summit of Mt. Nebo behind us...almost there!

THE SUMMIT!!
I have never seen so many lady bugs in my life, as I did on the top of that mountain. It is like a lady bug breeding ground! My victory dance :)

It was actually a pretty steep hike. It wasn't that long mileage-wise, but definitely steep, almost the whole way. The top half is all shale on a ridge, sometimes requiring some scrambling. But that's what I like! ;)

On the hike back down, Jenae and I made up a song about our hike. We made a video of it, but it didn't want to upload, so if you have facebook, check it out there. And if you know anything about Jenae's creative mind, you know you want to watch this video :)
Enjoy!

And the day after...
My tan lines look like neopolitan ice cream (brown, pink, white), and Jenae was so burned she laid on the floor the next day wrapped in damp towels and applied aloe vera every 2 hours...poor girl :( But she is now molting, and will soon have a fresh coat of pure white skin! :)

I sure can't get enough of the Utah Mountains!

4 comments:

  1. I saw a bunch of ladybugs on Buckley Mountain in April 2008. They were pretty nifty.

    I wish I had some Utah mountains around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey look! this post is about me too! er...I mean that weird girl who I definitely won't claim as me under all those towels. What a dork... molting at triple warp speed thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha I'm just trying to help you out in the peeling process. As N. Evans once said, "These hands are helping hands, and they won't be happy until they're helping." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, Carrie, you are one busy girl! I have always wanted to hike Nebo. Looks like you are having all kinds of fun!

    ReplyDelete